West End Temple-Sinai Congregation was founded in the summer of 1939. Our first High Holy Day services were held that September and were led by Rabbi Emanuel Schenk.
In those first years, services were held in the old Seville Hotel on Rockaway Beach Boulevard and, later, in the upstairs room in the Park Theatre on Beach 116 Street. The temple’s current location was once a property known as the Mandel Mansion, which the congregation purchased at auction in the late 1940’s. As the congregation increased in number, it outgrew the Mansion. The building that stands today was constructed in 1954.
For over 50 years, our temple was led by Rabbi Joseph Weiss and served as the central address for liberal Jewish life, learning and observance on the Rockaway Peninsula. Currently, our congregation is presently led by Rabbi Marjorie Slome.
West End Temple is affiliated with the Union for Reform Judaism which represents more than 900 congregations in North America Reform Judaism has enabled the Jewish people to introduce innovation while preserving tradition, embrace diversity while asserting commonality, affirm beliefs without rejecting those who doubt, and has brought faith to sacred texts without sacrificing critical scholarship.
For over 77 years, we have been a vital and valued institution in the Rockaway community. West End Temple has and continues to educate both the young and old about Jewish history, culture, and living. We have a time-honored commitment to interfaith dialogue and activities on the peninsula. We commit our time and resources to the promotion of social justice and Jewish learning and we are honored to be a trusted source to countless families when they select our nursery school as the learning and loving environment they want for their children.